Skip to Content

Residential Property Damage

Homeowners insurance covers residential property damage. Most policies cover (i) interior and exterior damage to your dwelling; (ii) lost, stolen, or damaged personal property; (iii) damage to other structures located on the property; and (iv) additional living expenses.  Every homeowner’s insurance policy has a liability limit that determines the amount of coverage available to you should you suffer a loss. 

Homeowners insurance should not be confused with a home warranty, which typically covers you when an appliance, such as a dishwasher, breaks down; or with mortgage insurance, which could pay off or pay down your mortgage should certain conditions occur.

What type of Damage is Covered by my Homeowner’s Insurance?


As a general rule, your insurer will pay for both structural and non-structural damages to your home once it is determined that the damages are covered under the policy. Examples of damages typically covered are:

  • Roof damage
  • Water-damaged ceilings, drywall, and flooring 
  • HVAC system, ductwork, and insulation damages
  • Cracking of the interior walls, exterior walls, and windowsills
  • Cracked, broken, or damaged windows and sliding glass doors 

Personal Property

Personal property coverage in your insurance policy refers to your possessions.  More specifically, it includes property other than real estate. Personal property includes nearly everything that you own; including, but not limited to, jewelry, clothing, shoes, furniture, works of art, televisions, electrical equipment, and appliances.

If you file a claim for personal property that is lost, damaged, or stolen, provide your insurer with as much detailed information about each item as possible.  For example, include brand names and model numbers with respect to appliances and electronic equipment.  If you paid with a credit card, check, or some other electronic form of payment, go online and retrieve proof of payment as well as any descriptive information about the item.  Also, look through your photographs and video-recordings.  If for any reason you are unable to locate proof of payment, receipts, or any other documentation about the items, sometimes photographs and video-recordings can be compelling evidence.  The more specific the information you can provide your insurer, the better.

Additional Living Expenses

There are times when your house is damaged to the point that you may need to seek temporary living arrangements.  Items such as rent, food, parking, and clothing are the types of extra costs that may be covered under the Additional Living Expenses (“ALE”) portion of your policy. Most homeowners’ policies require you to account for such expenses; so be sure to keep all your bills and receipts.  Depending on your policy, ALE may also include extra transportation costs to and from work or school, temporary shelter for your pets, temporary storage expenses, furniture rental, plus other expenses. 

If you are forced into temporary housing because your house is damaged, treat the decision where you will be living as if you were paying for it out-of-pocket. Generally speaking, you are required to rent or lease something that is comparable to your damaged house; otherwise, that may raise red flags. 

Contact our Residential Property Damage Attorneys today. 

If your house is damaged or your personal property is lost, damaged, or stolen, the more information you can provide about your claim, the more difficult it will be for your insurance company to short-change you. Kubiak Law Group understands the law, your insurance policy, and the rules and regulations that pertain to homeowners’ insurance.  We have the experience, knowledge, and resources required to fight insurance companies to protect your rights. 

We offer free consultations, the same day return of calls and emails, and 24/7/365 availability. Contact us today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation and learn how we can help with your insurance claim.